Tuesday, September 16, 2008

His Eye is on the Sparrow


This past Sunday morning
as the children and I were leaving for church,
we found this sweet bird who had died, lying on our driveway.

The lesson from God was not lost on us.

We recalled Jesus' words in Matthew 10 and talked about them.

We leaned on them throughout the day.

Earl was gone on our church's men's retreat and the kids and I were braving the drive alone up to John MacArthur's church for some good preaching, since we couldn't hear Dad.

We made good time . . . His eye is on the sparrow, and He watches over me.

Parking was incredible but we found a spot in the neighborhood 2 blocks away and the children all kept their adventuring attitudes and trekked in to the church parking lot without complaint . . . . His eye is on the sparrow, and He watches over me.

I gave everyone the option of going into worship with me, or checking out their age-appropriate classes. The four older ones opted to stay with me (yeah!!) and David was especially interested in hearing John MacArthur. Jonathan made his decision to go into the 3 year old's class (wise son). But my other children were hesitant for me to let him go in. After talking with them privately and hearing their "fears", I reminded them . . . His eye is on the sparrow, guys. He's watching over us. Jonathan will be fine. (I didn't add, but wanted to . . . he's much braver than you all were at this age!)

However, during the service we were told that after 40 years of services, this was only the 4th time that pastor MacArthur was sick. His eye is on the sparrow and He watches over us . . . . we can trust Him for what He has for us today.

The sermon was on James 1 . . . the place of suffering in the life of a Christian. One of the pastor's points was that we need to focus on getting a proper perspective about trials before we get into them. As I was listening, I was assaulted by thoughts of my Jonathan being taken from his class by a stranger and not being there when I went to pick him up. I had to do some battle . . . His eye is on the sparrow, and He watches over me (and mine)!

We hit some traffic driving through LA (a wreck) . .. His eye is on the sparrow, and He watches over me. (I had thankfully thought to throw in some juice drinks and cereal bars to tide us over until lunch since we had a ways to drive home).

I plan on printing up the above photo and passage for each of my children to put over their beds.
It seems like a very practical way of storing up knowledge
leading to a biblical perspective when those trials come . . .
and they will.
(In fact, we do this for other passages we want them to commit to memory . . .
and it has proven VERY effective.)

I want our kids to know that God cares very much about them
and because He cares so much about them,
they need not fear, but can trust Him . . .
with their lives.

(I think I'll print one up to put over my bed too!)


"His Eye Is on the Sparrow"

Why should I feel discouraged?
Why should the shadows come?
Why should my heart be lonely
And long for heav'n and home
When Jesus is my portion?
My constant friend is He;
His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

"Let not your heart be troubled,"
His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness,
I lose my doubts and fears;
Tho' by the path He leadeth,
But one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

Whenever I am tempted,
Whenever clouds arise,
When song gives place to sighing,
When hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him;
From care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

I sing because I'm happy;
I sing because I'm free;
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

2 comments:

sethswifeforlife said...

GREAT word picture.
wow.
I will email you back soon, when I have more time than just a comment.
Love & hugs,
Abby~

Linda said...

Incredible picture and good reminder today!

Miss you! Lets get together soon.

Search This Blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...