Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A little humor




I have taught our children, after the example of Reb Bradley's wife,
to call me "mother most beautiful among all women".
(All in jest, of course!)
The way Jonathan says it, though
changes the whole meaning . . .
"Mother, most beautiful bug woman".
Sigh.

(Serves me right.)


The other day,
Jonathan was passing out our family worship folders
but couldn't read the names on them.
We could tell that he felt self-conscious at not being able to read,
so we made a game out of it:
whose ever folder you got, that's who you got to be for the morning.
Daddy got to be David, I got to be Emily, Annie got to be Molly and so on.
We were all laughing and enjoying it.

Then he handed Molly a folder and she squealed,
"Yay, I get to be Jonathan!"
He smiled (kind of) and started to walk away,

then changed his mind and very seriously turned around,
took back the folder and said,
"No, I want to be him
."
We all burst out laughing!

The other day I was sipping a blended coffee that I made at home.

Jonathan kept bugging me,

"Can I have a little of that?
Can I just have a little of that?
I want a little of that"
on and on.
Finally I let him have a little sip.

And without missing a beat
and very seriously (he wasn't trying to be funny) he said,
"Can I have a lot of that?"



The other day, while helping Molly with her bath,

we were talking about what a good mom she will make one day
and how fun she'll be.
Somewhere in the midst of the conversation,

she mentioned that her husband "won't be a pastor".
My heart sank.
"Oh no! Is it happening already?
Could she really somehow resent being a PK
and has vowed never to marry a pastor?"

Despite my fear and questions, I
responded calmly,
"So, you're not going to marry a pastor?"

She looked at me with the innocence of a 7 year old and said,
"Well, Mom . . . we'll be going to your church."
Duh!
Never assume . . . .(smile)



6 comments:

Rachel said...

Too funny!

Barbara said...

Oh, that was fun! Thanks!

sethswifeforlife said...

How fun! What great memories to record!

Greg Silsby said...

What wonderful comments, and great memories to treasure. None of us three kids, by the way, ever regretted being a PK (or T.O. [Theological Offspring], as we'd sometimes say). On the contrary, we have always been, and always will be proud of our Dad, whom we consider one of the all-time great preachers. He's nearly 101 now, but leaves behind him a legacy of multiple generations of children in the faith, and an incredible number of other preachers, missionaries, Bible college professors and church leaders, who studied homiletics, speech radio and other subjects under him. I can't count the times I've been blessed by sitting around a campfire, with other preachers' families, sharing priceless memories of family life. Thanks for sharing yours.

SevenPilgrims said...

Oh thank you, Greg, for your comment! I must confess, that my "fear" was very irrational (as all fears are, I guess), as by the grace of God our kids have loved their daddy being a pastor and we have all felt a part of the ministry that our family has been blessed to share in. By the way, I love the "TO" term. We'll have to use that one. (Up until a few months ago, my oldest kids didn't even know what a PK was!) Thanks again for the encouraging words. What an honor to your parents!

Blapo said...

Markus a donum deus! Fortuna, libera! Magnus!

Search This Blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...