Saturday, March 07, 2009

Pre-Lord's Day Meditation


I have been enjoying reading in Numbers and
now in Deuteronomy these past few weeks.

I've been captivated by watching the people of Israel,
and awed over and over again by the Lord's dealings with them.
I've been brought face to face with the idolatries
that stubbornly reside in my own sinful heart.

How grievous to hear my own heart shout
that God is not sufficient

and yet have the nerve to look to inferior gods
- made of "wood and stone" -
and complain to the
Lord Ever-Satisfying and
Creator of all the universe

when they don't measure up to my standards
or satisfy my hunger.
The gods I often look to most
to make me the most happiest

are my children,
my husband,
my time alone,
my hobbies and personal pursuits,
oh and the list could go on and on.

Yet, I stand amazed in the Presence!
I . . .who have heinously turned my nose
up at the Lord's providence and provision
so many times,

have been brought near,
by the blood of Christ,
the Sacrifice of all sacrifices,
to stand with the multitude of the redeemed,
before the "tent of meeting"
in the sanctuary of His presence,
to be so lovingly,
and compassionately,
and patiently
reminded
THAT HE IS ENOUGH.
"I am all you need."
He is worthy of all my praise and adoration.
My heart is cleansed and calmed.
My fears put to rest.
My strength renewed.
My vision re-focused.

Who am I, Lord?
That You take thought of me?
Nothing but dust.
Yet, clothed in the righteousness of my Lord Jesus,
I stand before the King.
I am counted among the righteous.


"I know not why God's wondrous grace
To me He hath made known,
Nor why, unworthy, Christ in love
Redeemed me for His own.
But 'I know whom I have believed,
And am persuaded that He is able
To keep that which I've committed
Unto Him against that day.'

Daniel W. Whittle, 1883


No comments:

Search This Blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...