Wednesday, July 08, 2009

The Very Busy Mother

Things have been very busy around here this summer.
I have a million and one things on my to-do list
and that is not even counting all there is to do to
get ready for school at the beginning of August.
Yikes!
(I know, so what am I doing on HERE???!)

Today, Jonathan asked me to read him a story.
So I stopped and read him "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" as he asked.
And it reminded me of another story . . .

Back in October of 2003,
I wrote a story with Emily and David and Molly
that we patterned after the story
"The Very Busy Spider" by Eric Carl.

We'd like to share it with you.
(The words in red are the actual elicited words from the kids.)


The Very Busy Mother
By
Emily, David, Molly, and Jan Miles


Once upon a time there was a very busy mother.
She was busy doing the dishes.

Along came her adorable six year old daughter, Emily.
Emily said, "Mom, would you like to color a picture with me?"
The very busy mother looked at her pile of dishes
and then looked at her daughter and smiling she said,
"Of course! For I'm never too busy for you, my dear."

And so the two of them colored a picture
of a beautiful ballerina dancing to some lovely music,
and their hearts were happy.


Later on that day, the very busy mother was busy doing the laundry.
Along came her charming five year old son, David.

David said, "Mom, would you like to snuggle on the couch and read stories together?"
The very busy mother looked at her pile of laundry
and then looked at her son and smiling she said,
"Of course! For I'm never too busy for you, my dear."

So the two of them snuggled together on the couch,
wrapped in a cozy blanket
and read some of their favorite stories,
and their hearts were happy.


Later on that day, the very busy mother was busy cleaning the windows.
Along came her delightful two year old daughter, Molly.

Molly said, "Mom, would you like to play with me?"
The very busy mother looked at all the dirty windows
and then looked at her daughter and smiling she said,
"Of course! For I'm never too busy for you, my dear."

So the two of them got down on the playroom floor
and played and laughed and played and laughed . . . "all day long" together,
and their hearts were happy.


Later on that day, the very busy mother was busy fixing dinner.
Along came her sweet 11-month old daughter, Annie.

Annie said, "Mom, would you like to watch me crawl around and make funny faces?"
The very busy mother looked at the clock
and decided she had some time
so she looked at her daughter and smiling she said,
"Of course! For I'm never too busy for you, my dear."

So Annie crawled around and the very busy mother clapped and laughed,
and their hearts were happy.


Later that evening,
as an old wise owl flew over the quiet house,
he said, "Whooo! Whooo! Whoooo has been so busy in this house?"

But no one answered,
for the very busy mother was sound asleep . . .
preparing herself
for another busy day.



Enjoy your little ones!




1 comment:

Rachel said...

Very timely--thanks, Jan!

Search This Blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...