Wednesday, September 02, 2009

What Have I Done??


Pig Latin is a game of alterations played on the English language game. To form the Pig Latin form of an English word the initial consonant sound is transposed to the end of the word and an ay is affixed (for example, trash yields ash-tray and plunder yields under-play). The purpose of the alteration is to both obfuscate the encoding and to indicate for the intended recipient the encoding as 'Pig Latin'. The reference to Latin is a deliberate misnomer, as it is simply a form of jargon, used only for its English connotations as a 'strange and foreign-sounding language'; it could also be because the transformed words sound similar to Latin.

Sometimes unexpected results occur in our homeschooling classroom.
Like this one.
I have taught each of our children to read.
And they LOVE to read.
Anything.
I have to really keep on top of things.
But I let something slip by me.
A friend bombarded our home with lots of "Kids Discover" magazines,
and our oldest kids have been reading them,
and apparently learning from one of them on "languages".
Go figure.
I didn't even ASSIGN it!
Out of all the various languages they read about,
my 10 and 12 year old naturally gravitated toward one particular one.
Today they are speaking in Pig-Latin.
Yikes!
I can't even barely speak English straight these days,
without having to translate their Pig Latin.
What have I done??
They are loving it, however,
and teaching their younger brother and sisters.
Sigh.

Ordlay elphay emay! :)

(Inside I am thrilled and smiling to myself that my "students" find learning fun and tackle most things with great enthusiasm. You go, guys. The Lord will take care of your wimpy mom!)

Hmmm . . . maybe they will end up working for Wycliffe Bible Translators??


3 comments:

Barbara said...

Maybe they could teach me! I never got it!

Bekka said...

Haha! Oh my goodness you have to tell the kids to talk to Jeremy Benner. He is FLUENT in that language! It's like second nature to him, and has been for YEARS. =]

Crazy stuff.

sethswifeforlife said...

That's crazy! But I'm sure hilarious!

(Hey, can I bring you one of my boys so you can teach him to read!??? We're going on year 3...hoping for success this year. This dyslexic stuff is a challenge!)

Search This Blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...