Sunday, October 11, 2009

A Soul's Meditation


Today I am home from gathering with the Church
because our little Jonathan just can't shake this cold he has been fighting and woke today really coughing as well as contending with nasal congestion.
So we're resting and watching Steve Green's "Hide 'Em in Your Heart" videos, blogging, reading and snuggling.

I have been listening lately to some great teaching . . . Carolyn Mahaney, Martha Peace, and some speakers from the Women Discipling Women conference at John MacArthur's church.
My heart has been challenged, rebuked, encouraged, and refreshed.
It has been good.

This morning, for my devotional time,
I read through Psalm 119
and verse 165 struck me:

"Those who love Your law have great peace, and nothing causes them to stumble."

Lately, there has been much to rob me of peace and joy,
and the temptation to give in and not fight back with the Truth has been great.
But God's word remains my comfort and my security and my vision.

From my journal:
"My 'peace' will not ultimately be found in an ordered environment, or in living with sinless people, or in participating in fun recreational activities, or in whatever else my heart may long for at the moment apart from God Himself. My peace will be found as I devote myself to the Word of God . . . meditating on it day and night . . . and the fruit of that peace will be a straight, well-lit path leading to many victories."

I heard a quote this week that wasn't new, but I liked the wording of it.
"If you want to be like the Son of God, then you need to give attention to the Word of God."

The Word of God tells me that my season right now, as a biblical woman, is to be devoted to my husband as his helpmate,
to work diligently in training and discipling my children in the few remaining years I have left with them,
to keep my home in such a way as to bless those who dwell here and who may visit,
and to love the body of Christ through my good works.

It is a season of sacrifice and giving.
And honestly . . . does that season ever truly end as I grow in my pursuit of biblical womanhood?

My peace is lost when I try and fight for "my time" or time to pursue "my interests", and try and convince myself that my children are becoming more independent and don't need me to train and disciple them as much anymore. (Is that a lie straight from the pit, or what?! If anything, their need for discipleship and guidance is growing greater, and the time needed to invest in them is increasing . . . and it should be looked at as a joy and privilege!)
The Word of God reminds me that it IS in my best interest to serve those around me,
relying on the strength and the grace He provides (and abundantly, I may add!).

So, as I meditate on those truths,
and as I rise in the morning and look forward toward the day ahead of me,
I can say with the psalmist,

"Shout joyfully to the Lord, all the earth. Serve the Lord with gladness; Come before Him with joyful singing (instead of grumbling and complaining). Know that the Lord Himself is God (and submit yourself to His will); It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; We are His people and the sheep of His pasture.
Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise (not with downcast eyes and dejected spirits). Give thanks to Him, bless His name. For the LORD is good (He is not withholding any good thing from me, or preventing my happiness or fulfillment.); His lovingkindness is everlasting and His faithfulness to all generations."
Psalm 100

(Italics added from my own thoughts.)

Blessings on you as you meditate on His Word and apply the gospel to your own path He has set you on.
Great joy and victories
await those whose hope is in the Lord
and who are resting
in His righteousness alone!

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Amen, my friend! It sounds as if your time away from corporate worship was profitable to your soul. But, I still missed you.

Search This Blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...