Sunday, March 08, 2015

I Love My Wind Chimes

 

DSC_0006 (2)

Yesterday we had what is not so affectionately called the “Santa Ana Winds”. These winds blow hot and fast. They come off of the desert and dry everything out. It makes hair full of static electricity and skin crack. It kicks up dust and pollen and brings much distress to all allergy sufferers. No one around here really enjoys the Santa Anas.

But the one thing I do enjoy about them is the fact that they are winds. And I happen to have a wind chime. And I love hearing my wind chimes.

I have always enjoyed the wind. I don’t particularly love having my hair in my face, but I truly enjoy the wind. I will make everyone stop, if we’re out, and have them just “listen!” Listen to the wind rustle through the tree tops. I love being in the mountains and hearing the wind blow through the pine trees. That’s the sound I enjoy most.

And one of my favorite pictures from Scripture is when Jesus is talking to Nicodemus in John 3 and He explains that being born again is a work of the Holy Spirit. Then He likens the Holy Spirit to the wind. He says, just like you can’t see where the wind is coming from or where it is going, but you can hear the sound of where it has been, so it is with the Holy Spirit as it blows through the hearts of man.

My wind chimes remind me of this conversation and of this truth. They remind me that the Holy Spirit is working, even though I can’t always see it. Oh that I could be like my wind chimes, proclaiming the work of the Spirit to a wondering and watching world (Where is God?).

And 1 Peter 4:18 reminds us that “it is with difficulty that the righteous are saved”. That means God uses adversity to draw us to Himself as we see our need for Him. The Santa Anas mean ”adversity” here in southern CA.

So, when I hear my wind chimes blowing out back, proclaiming the wind passing through our “land”, and I feel my dry skin and my husband and I “shock” each other every time we touch, I am once again reminded that the Lord is in our midst, working in our hearts to make us content and satisfied in Him.

I love my wind chimes!

 

8 The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

No comments:

Search This Blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...